Monday, August 2, 2010

Real Socks!

This is the first pair of socks with real sock yarn.  The first two pair were from yarn labeled worsted weight.  I can't believe I actually managed to knit with fingering weight yarn.  It isn't as bad I as I once thought.

The textured design is actually a mistake.  I found a spiral rib that looked fun but it was written for straight needles.  When I wrote it for circs, I made a few errors and ended up with a wiggly bubbly effect that is very stretchy.  I liked it so much, I didn't tear it out and rewrite.  The only down side was trying to duplicate the pattern when I dropped stitches.  It was a real effort for my brain to think backwards through the pattern to pick the stitches up with a small crotchet hook. 

Wiggly Bubble Rib (multiples of 4)
Rnd 1: *Knit 2, Purl 2; rep from *
Rnd 2: *Purl 2, Knit 2; rep from *
Rnd 3: Knit 1, *Purl 2, Knit 2; rep from *, end Purl 2, Knit 1
Rnd 4: Rep rnd 3
Rnd 5: *Purl 2, Knit 2; rep from *
Rnd 6: Rep rnd 5
Rnd 7: Rep rnd 3
Rnd 8: Rep rnd 3

The next pair of socks will have a zigzag rib up the top of the foot and around the leg.  It is a cool pattern written for circs in Socks a la carte.  I can't wait to get my copy of the new version written for toe up socks, Socks a la carte 2.

1 comment:

BJM said...

I love them. I wouldn't consider it a mistake. I'd consider it a design enhancement.